A match made in heaven
Rolled oats and quinoa flakes come together in this healthy, hearty, home-made granola. Quinoa flakes, hemp hearts, your choice of nuts and seeds and coconut oil give this a lift of protein and healthy fats to carry you through your morning energized. Dried and fresh fruit adds important bioflavonoids and Vitamin C and dark chocolate chips take it to the next level of tastiness! Make ahead in a larger quantity and breakfast or snacks are quick and ready to go for those busy weekday mornings!
- Gluten free ensure certified gluten free rolled oats
- Dairy free
- Nut free (optional)
- 3 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (or replace with oats)
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp either vanilla or almond extract or one of each
- 1 1/2 cup toasted nuts and seeds such as walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, pecans and coconut chips. See note for roasting directions.
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut as an alternative option to coconut chips, but don’t roast with nuts/seeds.
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix rolled oats, quinoa flakes, hemp hearts, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove 1 cup of mixed dried ingredients and place in a blender and pulse until a fine flour forms then return to mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt the coconut oil and whisk in the maple syrup and flavour extracts, keep temperature low.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry mixture and work the oil thoroughly into the oat mix with your hands, making sure that it is evenly distributed.
- Turn the mix onto the cookie sheet and press down evenly with your hands, compressing as much as possible. Using a piece of parchment paper on top really helps this process.
- Once evenly pressed and compacted place in oven for 15 minutes.
- At 15 minutes, rotate your cookie sheet and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let completely cool on the tray.
- Meanwhile, roast your nuts and seeds (see note).
- When all is cooled, place all ingredients into an airtight container, shake to mix together. Enjoy with your fave dairy or non-dairy milk or yogurt and top with fresh fruit such as bananas, pears or berries.
How to roast nuts and seeds:
Place nuts and seeds on a cookie sheet and place back into your preheated 350F oven. Stir at 5 minutes, again at 10 and keep a close watch for another 2-5. Take them out immediately if they start to smell like they are burning.
Looking for more breakfast ideas?
Try these high protein Banana, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip Muffins with Quinoa and Almond Flour or these light Gluten free Pumpkin Oat Muffins.
Want something even easier for busy weekday mornings? Throw this cleanse friendly Oat Blend together for overnight oats or your morning oatmeal!.