A variation on Autumn Pumpkin Corn Bread
Full of winter squash goodness, this gluten free corn bread is a treat straight out of the oven and served up with soups, stews and chillies that make their way to the table in the cooler season. A fun twist on a traditional corn bread, this recipe is high in fiber, nutrient dense and full of fflavours. Wheat is replaced with oat flour to make this gluten free. This version swaps out the pumpkin pie flavors of the original recipe and replaces it with a more savory combination of cheese and fresh jalapeños. After experimenting with these changes, I think this one is my preference!
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- 1 cup oat flour (see note for DYI)
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tbsp coconut or cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup jalapeño monterey jack cheese, grated (option to use just a regular MJ if you don’t like spice)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (see note for DYI)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk of choice
- Pre-heat oven to 400F and line a square baking dish with parchment.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a larger mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients.
- Turn dry ingredients into the large bowl containing wet ingredients and combine well. Let sit about 5 minutes to let the liquid be absorbed by the grains.
- Pour batter into baking pan then place in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Insert a knife into the middle to ensure it is cooked all the way through. If not, give it another 5 minutes.
*Note: For DYI oat flour, place rolled oats into a blender and blend until a flour consistency.
**Note: For DYI pumpkin puree, pre-heat oven to 400F, cut pumpkin in half, scoop out seeds and pulp, place face down on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until soft, 45-60 minutes, depending on size of pumpkin. Let cool then place in blender and puree. Other types of winter squash can replace pumpkin in pureed recipes as well.
Want more pumpkin recipes?
or give the original recipe a try Autumn Pumpkin Corn Bread – Gluten Free