“Bean” looking for a versatile summer salad? This one has you covered!
This 4 bean summer salad is a great go to for a potluck dinner, camping or hot days when you want something easy that stores well. Both fresh green beans and canned shell beans come together with a few simple ingredients in a sweet and tangy dressing that gets better the longer it has time to marinade. High protein, high fiber and full of all the goodness beans have to offer, this salad is a must in your summer rotation. You can also make this one a couple of days ahead for ease of planning.
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- nut free
- 2 cups blanched green or yellow beans, trimmed and cut into inch pieces. Alternatively use frozen.
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, any colour, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- If blanching the green beans, have cut pieces ready to drop in a pot of boiling water. Set timer for 3 minutes. Strain and drop into a cold bath. After cooled, drain and place in large serving bowl or large container.
- if using frozen beans, thaw completely and follow same instructions.
- Rinse and drain each can of beans and add to serving bowl or container.
- Add sliced celery, finely diced red onion, fresh parsley and bell pepper to the beans mix.
- In a glass measuring cup or mixing container, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar and salt and pepper until dissolved.
- Pour dressing over salad, mix well and place in fridge at least an hour to marinade. Stir ingredients occasionally to disperse dressing.
- Best served with a slotted spoon as it is quite liquidy.
Learn more on Beans and Legumes – A healthy Diet Choice
want more salads?
Homemade Caesar Salad with Candied Yam Croutons-Gluten and Dairy free