A hydrating picnic delish dish!
This sweet, crunchy and flavour packed salad brings together the harvest of summer and is full of nutrition. This is a perfect salad to add to your picnic on a hot day as it contains foods with high water content to help keep you hydrated. Read up on the importance and ways to stay hydrated with High Five Hydration and keep your fluids flowing this summer!
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Refined Sugar free
- Nut free
- Vegan/Vegetarian (optional)
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 long english cucumber, chopped (if you can get them fresh at a farmers market, all the better!)
- 1/4 cup red onion, green onion or shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp fresh mint leaf, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey (omit if vegan or sugar free)
- salt and pepper to taste
Additions for topping:
- Crumbled feta
- Roasted slivered almonds
- Roasted coconut chips
- Chop up all your ingredients and place into a salad bowl.
- Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients and toss into salad.
- Top with roasted almonds, coconut chips or feta if desired. I don’t include these right in as the feta can take over the flavour and the roasted almonds and coconut chips can get soggy in the left-overs. Just my preference.
Want more salads? Check out this anti-inflammatory Strawberry and kale with Citrus Dressing
or this protein packed Mexican Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
Homemade Caesar Salad with Candied Yam Croutons-Gluten and Dairy Free and Cauliflower Tabouli also make great summer salads for those hot summer nights!