Drop the wheat and try these oat flour biscuits for something different!
These biscuits are a scrumptious addition to soups and stews and can be whipped up in mere minutes. Here we have moved away from the commonly used white wheat flour in a drop biscuit and replace the flour with an oat flour, making them high in whole grain fiber and gluten free. They are not, however, dairy free and are loaded with cheese, butter and milk, making them pretty irresistible, if you like cheese, that is, as I do! The original recipe I experimented with didn’t call for cheese or herbs but I lifted these up with both! I also added some homemade fermented Kefir instead of the called for whole milk which I think added to the flavour of these biscuits. Not everyone is going to have a fresh jar of Kefir in their fridge so I included it as an option but whole milk would be the go to.
- Gluten free
- Refined sugar free
- Nut free
- 1 cup oat flour (see note for DYI)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp dried chives or dill
- Shake of chilli flakes (optional)
- Twist of pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk or Kefir
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, salt and herbs of choice.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and work in the butter until it is dispersed and has the consistency of course sand.
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk together the milk and egg, then add the cheese.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl of wet ingredients and thoroughly combine into a dough. No need to over mix, just make sure flour is incorporated.
- Drop batter onto baking sheet in 12 even portions.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy with your fave soups and stews.
* Note – For DYI oat flour, place rolled oats into a blender and blend until a flour consistency.
You may also like this Jalapeno and Cheese Pumpkin Corn Bread – Gluten Freehttps://innervision.ca/jalapeno-and-cheese-pumpkin-corn-bread-gluten-and-dairy-free/